Have you seen the headlines about guggulsterones and weight loss? Can these compounds actually help you shed pounds, or is this just another fad product that is being put forth by the diet industry in order to get your hard-earned money?
Check out the information on guggulsterones and weight loss below to learn more about what these compounds are, what they do in your body, and whether or not they are worth trying if you are on a journey towards a slimmer body.
What Are Guggulsterones?
Guggulsterones are generally a combination of various isolated compounds from the Commiphora Mukul plant also referred to as Gum Guggul. Scientific studies which have been carefully planned indicate that they reduce body weight, and this is mostly attributed to the stimulating effect which they cause on the thyroid gland responsible for controlling the metabolic rate. When the hormone levels of the thyroid increase, the metabolic rate is boosted and obviously, caloric restriction decreases the rate of metabolism. This ensures that the metabolism keeps chugging along despite the calorie restriction.
The Research Behind Guggulsterones and Weight Loss
Studies have indicated that guggulsterones are used in the maintenance of normal lipid levels of blood, while supporting a fine texture of the skin, through a decrease in blemish appearances as well as optimizing the function of the thyroid gland thus supporting an ideal loss of body weight and fat. Guggulsterones are responsible for signaling the thyroid to enhance the secretion of extra hormones used for increasing the metabolic rate. This is quite an ideal way of increasing the metabolic rate without necessarily increasing the heart rate. When looking at any diet supplement containing guggulsterones, it is important to check the percentages of the extracts which are available in 95%, 10%, and 2% and the higher the percentage, the better the extract.
How Can Guggulsterones Help with Weight Loss?
Guggulsterones are helpful for anyone looking forward to weight loss, especially those people who have attempted dieting for a while. Unlike such supplements as ephedrine, guggulsterones does not result in stimulating the nervous system, and are thus generally considered some of the safest available supplements. Guggulsterones stimulate the thyroid gland’s activity naturally hence ensuring that the metabolic rate is returned where it is required. This increases the rate and ease of weight loss, since more calories are burned by the body everyday. Statistics have in the past indicated that using supplements which contain guggulsterones leads to a much faster weight lose in comparison to simply dieting and exercising.
Other Benefits of Guggulsterones Beyond Weight Loss
Guggulsterones are approved for lowering the levels of triglyceride and elevated cholesterol. While it raises HDL (good cholesterol) levels, it as well lowers the levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) levels. A common guggulsterone intake is 25 milligrams when taken three times in a day, in a standardized Guggul extract form of 10% guggulsterones. The effect that guggulsterones have weight loss usually gets noticed after a period of ten to fourteen days.
The Potential Side Effects of Guggulsterones
Sure, there are a lot of benefits that can come with using guggulsterones for weight loss, but there are also some potential side effects and drawbacks that you should definitely consider before giving this product a try, according to Livestrong.
Some people should not take this supplement, even if they need to lose excess weight in order to get their health on track. Check out the information below on the potential dangers associated with taking guggul extract.
- If you are pregnant, you should avoid taking a variety of supplements, including guggul extract, because experts don’t know how it will affect your body and your baby.
- There isn’t a lot of information available about the possibility of toxicity when taking guggulsterones. We do, however, know that this supplement has an effect on lipid metabolism and thyroid hormones. So, depending on your health, it might not be appropriate for you.
- Side effects might include gastrointestinal issues, headache, rash, nausea, and allergic reactions. If you experience side effects, stop taking the guggul extract, and let your doctor know about what happened.
- If you have been diagnosed with a chronic condition, you should use caution before taking guggul extract to lose weight. Examples include thyroid disorders (that includes both hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism). Also, if you have kidney disease or liver disease, you should not be taking guggul extract because your body might end up metabolizing the product in an abnormal way. Bottom line: talk to your doctor before taking guggul extract, especially if you have been diagnosed with a medical condition.
- If you are taking certain medications, you should not take guggul extract because they could end up adversely interacting with one another. Examples include propranolol, diltiazem, aspirin, NSAIDs, and warfarin, as well as any medications that inhibit your body’s blood clotting ability. That’s because the risk of uncontrolled or severe bleeding might go up when you take those medications with guggul extract. Yikes! And, remember how we mentioned this product isn’t right for those with a thyroid disorder? Well, it should come as no surprise, then, that you should not take guggul extract if you are taking any synthetic thyroid hormones, or if you are taking any medications to treat your thyroid disorder. If you do, you increase the odds of suffering a thyroid storm, which could be life threatening.
How to Use Guggulsterones for Weight Loss
A combination of guggulsterones with various other weight loss ingredients can result in an effective means to lose weight, when combined with a calorie-reduced diet and regular exercise. Experts have been known to recommend a combination of guggulsterones with Forskolin which is a root extract of the Coleus Forskohlii plants. The way these two compounds work is slightly different, and this leads to easier and faster weight loss when mixed with a regular exercise program and a controlled diet of calories.
Not Sure? Talk to Your Doctor First
After reading all about guggulsterones and weight loss, you might be prepared to give this product a try, or you might still be unsure about whether or not it would be a good idea for you to do so. When in doubt, it is always best to consult with your doctor before starting any new supplement, whether it is for weight loss or for overall health. Your physician can steer you in the right direction towards the weight loss products that are right for you, based on your unique body and your weight loss needs, so don’t hesitate to ask questions about guggul extract.